01 December 2009

Implications of Open Source Climate Science

Andy Revkin at the NYT asked me the following yesterday:
I asked him, in essence, if the shape of the 20th-century temperature curve were to shift much as a result of some of the issues that have come up in the disclosed e-mail messages and files, would that erode confidence in the keystone climate question (the high confidence expressed by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in 2007 that most warming since 1950 is driven by human activities)?
You can see my response at DotEarth. I am particularly heartened to see the reaction of Raymond Pierrehumbert, of Real Climate and University of Chicago, who I collaborated with on a NRC project and paper some time ago. Here is how he starts his comment:
I often find myself disagreeing with Roger, but in this instance I find little to fault with his nice summary of the situation.
Please join the discussion over at DotEarth.